Other Insurance

The Facts About Other Insurance

Any who owns a home or auto understands the importance of having insurance policies to provide protection against losses due to damage or total destruction to property.

Most policies don't extend coverage to your other property, and that is why it is important to contact an independent agency like AmeriFirst Insurance Agency to discuss your options. You may want to consider purchasing flood insurance, excess liability insurance (commonly referred to as an umbrella policy), and insurance coverage for your boat, RV, motorcycle or motor-home.

Flood Insurance Policies

Severe weather events happen everywhere. Neither homeowners, renters, nor any other insurance policies cover damage to property that is caused by a flood. Flood insurance policies provide coverage for specific structures (as mentioned in the policy,) and personal property. It only pays for direct damage from a flood.

If you own a home, a condo, are a renter or own or rent commercial or residential property, you are eligible to purchase flood insurance. People who live in designated flood areas may be required to purchase flood insurance.

Boat Insurance Policies

Many people mistakenly believe that their homeowner's or renter's insurance policies intend coverage to their personal boat. Since a boat is an expensive investment, boat or watercraft insurance can ease your mind and assure you that you and your boat are well-protected. Boat insurance policies should include coverage for:

  • Liability

  • Physical boat damage

  • Removing wreckage

  • Coverage extending to pollution liability

  • Liability related to water sports

  • Coverage to pay for primary medical expenses.

Motorcycle Insurance Policies

The Financial Responsibility Law applies to motorcycle owners and drivers as well as automobile owners. They are no different than passenger vehicles when it comes to insurance, registration and title requirements.

The minimum liability insurance requirement for Texas motorcycle owners and drivers is the same as that for automobile owners and drivers:

  • $30,000 to cover physical injury to each person in an accident.

  • $60,000 as the maximum total coverage for personal injury per accident.

  • $25,000 to cover property damage per accident.

*Check with us to find out what limits of liability your State law requires

RV and Motor-Home Insurance Coverage

After you purchase a new RV or motor-home, you will want to be sure that you have sufficient insurance to cover the cost of replacing your RV or motor-home. Insurance to cover the full replacement cost of an RV, motor-home is only available on new vehicles, but the coverage remains in effect for five years.

Umbrella Insurance Policies

Umbrella insurance policies are designed to provide additional liability insurance above any coverage you may have for your auto, boat, home, motor-home or RV. These types of policies protect people who are in danger of being sued for damages to property belonging to others, or for injuries that other people may suffer. An added benefit of umbrella insurance is the other protections it provides, including invasion of privacy, libel, slander and vandalism.

If you are considering adding umbrella coverage to your other insurance policies, you will probably find that it is less expensive when you purchase it through the same provider from whom you purchased your other policies. Insurance companies require existing policies to have a minumum dollar amount of coverage before allowing the addition of umbrella insurance coverage.

An independent insurance agency like AmeriFirst Insurance Agency can answer all of your questions on Texas insurance policies, and they will help you find the best deals on the policies that are best suited to your needs. Many companies offer discounts by bundling all of your policies with a single provider.